1. Over the past week, I’d been working on an essay on being an unexpected stay-at-home mom. I finished it last night and when I went to publish it this morning, it had disappeared. I almost weeped. And it was kind of an emo post, so not really one that I could bang out quickly again. I don’t know what to do. Rewrite it? Write the jist of it here in this list? Let’s see if I run out of things to talk about…
2. Thank you all so much for the podcast recommendations!! So far I’ve listened to (and loved!) the Longest Shortest Time and Call your Girlfriend. AND I also started listening to Limetown. Have you heard of it? It’s the same kind of investigative reporting setup as Serial but it’s fiction and it’s a little more sci-fi-ey. (<—- what?) There are only 2 episodes available so far and even though some of the… acting?… is questionable, it’s still pretty great. At the end of Episode 2, I got the shivers so bad and was legit scared while walking down the street. Like, I kept looking behind me and walking faster and faster. It was mid-day and there were people everywhere, but #imababy.
3. Ok, ok so I finally started snapping. Snapchatting, that is. Snap-C-ing. Snap-sizzle! Ok, I’m done. It’s mostly pictures of Crosby and coffee so if you’re into cuteness and caffeine, feel free to follow along! I’m @shawthomps over der.
4. Have you heard of the book the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up? I’ve been wanting to read it for months but I was #9 billion on the waitlist at the library and it just finally came available this week. I’m ready for it to change my life! Or so everyone who’s read it says. So far I’m about 40 pages in… my house is still messy and honestly I’m just kind of annoyed with how much the author says the word “tidying”. It’s such a funny little word and reading it so much has made it lose all meaning to me. To the point where I pronounce it wrong in my head sometimes… as tid-ying. And then I feel like a perv.
5. Speaking of the library! Before they let me check out my book, I had to pay off $33 in overdue fines. I’d somehow managed to dodge paying since I hit the $20 limit. So… you might say that I’m the nerdiest rebel around. ::shoots an imaginary gun and then blows off the gun smoke and puts it in an imaginary holster:: ::then reads a book::
6. And speaking of guns… Casey is on his way to Minnesota right now for some good old-fashioned duck hunting. Yeehaw! While I’m not the hugest hunting enthusiast (my dad and brothers are totally laughing and nodding their heads reading this) Casey really loves ducking hunting so I’m super excited for him. And quite a bit jealous that he gets to see some of the fam. So if anyone in the Portland area wants to come keep Cros and I company this weekend, let me know! We can sit around reading books about TY-DEE-ING.
7. On the way home from dropping Casey off at the airport this morning, I saw a rainbow. Which is no huge thing but it made me smile and feel like hey, today is going to be a good day! And THEN. I swear this is true… the song Somewhere over the Rainbow came on the radio. I swear!! (I had the “coffee shop” satellite station on.) And I was all, wow, today really is going to be a good day! BUT THEN! I literally saw the rainbow disappear. The clouds covered it up in about 10 seconds. I’ve never seen a rainbow disappear in action before. It was kind of eerie and poetic and what does this all mean? Am I going to have a good day? Or was the rainbow disappearing behind clouds an omen? TBD people, TBD.
8. You know what I was thinking about last night? When I was trying to fall asleep? That someone should rename “bedtime” as “the time of day when you should be going to sleep but instead you go over all the conversations you’ve had
that day in your life and think about what you should have said instead of what you actually said”. Ya feel me?
9. Have you seen or heard about these adult coloring books that are making their way around the various blog-o-spheres on the interwebs? I’m really intrigued. But considering I still haven’t finished a paint-by-numbers that I bought 6 months ago… it might not be the best investment for me.
10. Ok, so I tried the new Starbucks drink, the Toasted Graham Latte. And I gotta say, it tasted exactly like a vanilla latte to me. Sorry, ‘Bucks. Maybe it’s because I ordered it with soy milk? I don’t know, I didn’t think it was all that special. And it wasn’t just me… Crosby didn’t really like it either.
Calm down! I’m kidding.
He loved it.